SO.CO is founded on the principle of celebrating music and music photography, and helping people discover new photos and photographers. We know that you care about how your personal information is used and shared, and we take your privacy very seriously. By visiting the SO.CO website, you are accepting the practices outlined in this policy.
Information Collected by SO.CO
We only collect personal information that is relevant to the purpose of our website. This information allows us to provide you with a customized and efficient experience. We collect the following types of information from our SO.CO users:
We collect information to make the SO.CO website useful for you.
Information You Provide to Us
- We receive and store any information you enter on our website or provide to us in any other way. You can choose not to provide us with certain information, but then you may not be able to take advantage of many of our special features.
- Registration: In order for you to use SO.CO services you must complete a registration form. As part of this registration form, we require select personal information.
- User Profile: To allow you to express yourself beyond just the information collected during registration, we enable you to provide additional information, such as a bio, favorite URLs, and instant messaging IDs. In addition, you may choose to include photos of yourself in your profile. As indicated below, in the section titled "Sharing Your Information", you can control how your information is displayed and used.
- Automatic Information:
- We receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us. SO.CO and its authorized agents automatically receive and record certain "traffic data" on their server logs from your browser including your IP address, SO.CO cookie information, and the page you requested. SO.CO uses this traffic data to help diagnose problems with its servers, analyze trends and administer the website.
- SO.CO may collect and, on any page, display the total counts that page has been viewed. This includes User Profile pages.
- SO.CO collect certain payment and billing information when you register for certain paid Services. This information is stored securely by a third party payment processor.
- SO.CO may receive information about you from other Service users, from third-party services, and from our business partners.
- Many companies offer programs that help you to visit websites anonymously. While SO.CO will not be able to provide you with a personalized experience if we cannot recognize you, we want you to be aware that these programs are available.
We collect your registration and user profile data. Our servers also collect log information used to make the website faster and better.
SO.CO is very concerned about your privacy and we will never provide your email address to a third party without your explicit permission, as detailed in the "Sharing Your Information" section below. SO.CO may send out emails with SO.CO-related news, products, offers, surveys or promotions. You may also receive notification emails from SO.CO, which inform you of actions (e.g. friend requests) that have been performed on the site. If you do not want to receive email from us, please visit the Email Preferences section of your User Profile and/or follow the instructions contained in the unwanted e-mail message. However, please note that in all cases you will continue to receive all system emails (e.g. those regarding forgotten user passwords) and legal notices (e.g. updates to our policies) from us.
We will send you emails based on your profile settings. From time to time, we may send emails to all our users.
Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computers hard drive through your Web browser to enable our systems to recognize your browser and tell us how and when pages in our website are visited and by how many people. SO.CO cookies do not collect personal information, and we do not combine information collected through cookies with other personal information to tell us who you are or what your screen name or e-mail address is.
To remember you, our system will give you a cookie. It's safe.
Sharing Your Information
Because SO.CO enables people to discover and share information with one another, information about the people who use SO.CO is an integral part of the SO.CO experience. Rest assured that we neither rent nor sell your personal information to anyone and that we will share your personal information only as described below.
- SO.CO Personnel: SO.CO personnel and authorized consultants and/or contractors may have access to user information if necessary in the normal course of SO.CO business.
- Business Transfers: In some cases, we may choose to buy or sell assets. In these types of transactions, user information is typically one of the business assets that is transferred. Moreover, if SO.CO, or substantially all of its assets, were acquired, user information would be one of the assets that is transferred.
- User Profile information: Information collected during registration and subsequent visits, such as your full name and location, may be displayed to other SO.CO users in your User Profile. The User Profile is the area on SO.CO where we allow you to tell other SO.CO users about yourself. You may control what personal information is displayed in your User Profile by visiting the Settings section of your User Profile.
- Followers Activity: Much like other online social networks, SO.CO allows non-followers to browse your followers activity.
- Syndication: SO.CO allows for the RSS syndication of all of its public content within the SO.CO website.
- With Your Consent: Except as noted above, we will contact you when your personal information is shared with third parties or used for a purpose incompatible with the purpose(s) for which it was originally collected, and you will be able to opt out to prevent the sharing of this information.
We do not sell your information to anyone. However, we will show publicly available information to other users and may release other information to authorities where required by law.
Keeping Information Secure
- Your SO.CO account information is protected by a password for your privacy and security. Protect against unauthorized access to your password and to your computer by logging off once you have finished using a shared computer.
- Only employees who need personal information to perform a specific job (for example, a customer service representative) are granted access to it. All of our employees are kept up to date on our privacy and security practices.
Your account is protected by an encrypted password. We keep it secure, you must also keep it safe. Our employees may not access your account unless required to do a specific job.
Ways to Control Display and Use of Your Information
- As stated previously, you can always opt not to disclose information, but then you may be unable to use certain features on our website.
- By visiting your User Profile, you can correct, amend, add or delete personal information on our website.
- If you do not wish to receive email from us or other SO.CO users, please visit the Settings of your User Profile and/or follow the instructions contained in the unwanted e-mail message.
- However, please note that you will continue to receive all system emails (e.g. those regarding forgotten user passwords) and legal notices (e.g. updates to our policies) from us.
- As explained earlier, the "help" portion of the toolbar on the majority of browsers will direct you on how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to command the browser to tell you when you receive a new cookie, or how to fully disable cookies. Please note, however, that if your browser does not accept cookies, you will not be able to take advantage of some of our attractive features.
You can choose not to share information with us, but your experience of the site may be limited. However, until your account is deleted, you may receive all system emails.
Children Under 18 Years of Age
You must be 14 years and older to register to use the SO.CO website. As a result, SO.CO does not specifically collect information about children. If we learn that SO.CO has collected information from a child under the age of 13, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. We recommend that minors between the ages of 14 and 18 ask and receive their parents' permission before using SO.CO or sending information about themselves or anyone else over the Internet.
Please register only when you reach 18 years old, or ask your parents permission if you are between 14 and 18 years old.
Conditions of Use
Effective as of May 25th, 2018.
SO.CO may provide premium services to holders of "premium" accounts. In addition to the general terms and conditions provided for by these Terms, the following terms and conditions apply specifically to premium account holders:
- Services available to premium account holders are described on the account www.so.co.uk/premium
- SO.CO may modify, suspend or discontinue Services provided to premium account holders at any time at its sole discretion and without prior notice.
- Any refund owing to you will be paid within 30 days of the Termination Date provided your request for termination included your username and full name as it appears on your account or on your credit card.
How we store and secure information we collect
Information storage and security
We use data hosting service providers in the USA and EU to host the information we collect, and we use technical measures to secure your data. While we implement safeguards designed to protect your information, no security system is impenetrable and due to the inherent nature of the Internet, we cannot guarantee that data, during transmission through the Internet or while stored on our systems or otherwise in our care, is absolutely safe from intrusion by others.
How long we keep information
How long we keep information we collect about you depends on the type of information, as described in further detail below.
Account information: We retain your account information for as long as your account is active and a reasonable period thereafter in case you decide to re-activate the Services. We also retain some of your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, to resolve disputes, to enforce our agreements, to support business operations, and to continue to develop and improve our Services. Where we retain information for Service improvement and development, we take steps to eliminate information that directly identifies you, and we only use the information to uncover collective insights about the use of our Services, not to specifically analyze personal characteristics about you.
Information you share on the Services: If your account is deactivated or disabled, some of your information and the content you have provided will remain in order to be able to restore your profile.
Marketing information: If you have elected to receive marketing emails from us, we retain information about your marketing preferences for a reasonable period of time from the date you last expressed interest in our Services, such as when you last opened an email from us or ceased using your SO.CO account. We retain information derived from cookies and other tracking technologies for a reasonable period of time from the date such information was created.
Service Providers: We work with third-party service providers to provide website and application development, hosting, maintenance, backup, storage, virtual infrastructure, payment processing, analysis and other services for us, which may require them to access or use information about you. If a service provider needs to access information about you to perform services on our behalf, they do so under close instruction from us, including policies and procedures designed to protect your information.
We keep your information as long as you're a member.
How to access and control your information
You have certain choices available to you when it comes to your information. Below is a summary of those choices, how to exercise them and any limitations.
You have the right to request a copy of your information, to object to our use of your information (including for marketing purposes), to request the deletion or restriction of your information, or to request your information in a structured, electronic format. Below, we describe the tools and processes for making these requests. You can exercise some of the choices by logging into the Services and using settings available within the Services or your account. Where the Services are administered for you by an administrator (see "Notice to End Users" below), you may need to contact your administrator to assist with your requests first. For all other requests, you may contact us as provided in the Contact Us section below to request assistance.
Your request and choices may be limited in certain cases: for example, if fulfilling your request would reveal information about another person, or if you ask to delete information which we are permitted by law or have compelling legitimate interests to keep. Where you have asked us to share data with third parties, for example, by sharing on third-party apps, you will need to contact those third-party service providers directly to have your information deleted or otherwise restricted. If you have unresolved concerns, you may have the right to complain to a data protection authority in the country where you live, where you work or where you feel your rights were infringed.
Access and update your information: Our Services give you the ability to access and update certain information about you from within the Service. For example, you can access your profile information from your account. You can update your profile information within your profile settings and modify content that contains information about you using the editing tools associated with that content.
Deactivate your account: If you no longer wish to use our Services, you are able to deactivate your Services account. If you want to deactivate your own account, that setting is available to you in your account settings. Please be aware that deactivating your account does not delete your information.
Delete your information: Our Services gives you the ability to delete almost all information about you. Please note, however, that we may need to retain certain information for record keeping purposes, to complete transactions or to comply with our legal obligations.
Opt out of communications: You may opt out of receiving promotional communications from us by using the unsubscribe link within each email, updating your email preferences within your Service account settings menu, or by contacting us as provided below to have your contact information removed from our promotional email list or registration database. Even after you opt out from receiving promotional messages from us, you will continue to receive transactional messages from us regarding our Services. You can opt out of some notification messages in your account settings.